12 March 2011

A Pre-Kinitiras Choreography Lab blog

I am writing this blog from my home in Sheffield, UK, just hours before I leave for the airport on my way to Athens.

I am keen to write a pre, during and post Kinitiras Choreography Lab blog, so that I can also record my thoughts, process and conclusions of archiving studio practice.

I am really looking forward to leading the archiving studio practice workshops next week, meeting and working with other dance practitioners. I'm also looking forward to coming back into the studio, where I have been away from for some time now. Since moving out of London in 2008 I haven't had as much opportunities to work within an studio environment, were I can explore ideas and concepts. I have however still been able to continue to develop my work of documenting studio practice and how it can aid the development of a work.

In the past I have led similar workshops within a university environment where students are able to use university resources. Leading the workshops as part of Kinitiras Choreography Lab will be a challenge, in that participant will be required to use their personal recording equipment. This challenge is just what I need and also have experience of in my 9-5 job. The focus will be less on how to use each participants equipment but instead how moving/still image and audio capturing equipment can be used to document a process. We will then look at a range of video editing software available across PC and Mac's, how to use them and how to structure your edits. Participants will hopefully gain basic documentary skills, but more importantly will start to re-evaluate how and why they document their own practice, and the value of it. Maybe participants will also start to re-think how they view dance.

Prior to coming to Athens to lead these intensive practical workshops I have been looking back over my B.A. (Hons) degree dissertation. For my dissertation I investigated 'why are three-dimensional moving bodies traditionally viewed from a two-dimensional perspective, similar to that which occurs within the theatre?' I hadn't gone back over what I investigated and the conclusions I came to until now, but re-reading the dissertation has made me realise that the way I approach documenting studio practice, the choices I make and the compositions I create has been an indirect influence/development of this investigation.

Within the first workshop I will highlight aspects of this investigation with the aim it will help participants understand the theory behind my practice. I don't want to say too much more on this investigation until after the first workshop. Once I am back in Sheffield I will publish my dissertation and host it on my website along with documentation of my workshops.

Looking at my lesson plan I have so much I would like to cover but might not fit it in. I am not putting pressure on myself to cover every part of my lesson plan, but am keen to give time for participants to explore, experiment and ask questions.

I best leave it their for now, finish packing my things and head off to the airport.

Chris